Good Practices Manual
This manual, as referenced in the Welcome Guide distributed to each employee, while it can not foresee all possible situations, aims to address the areas of Quality Management, Environmental Management and Health and Safety at Work, in accordance with the attached document, which sets out our commitments for the future.
This manual also intends to start an awareness of social responsibility.
The Welcome Manual and this Manual, will be complementary in many areas, and both want to lead the company and its employees to clarify our values, because they are what they say about us and point us the best way forward.
Each one of us, our guests and our subcontracted employees should always conduct consistent with our policy, it is the duty of each of these stakeholders to ensure strict compliance with the legislation.
• Minimize energy consumption. The production of electricity is associated with the emission of pollutants into the atmosphere, whenever possible use natural light.
• Do not leave the lights on after leaving your work area.
• Set the monitor of your computer to standby mode
• Do not leave your computer on after completing your day's work.
• Keep the air conditioning switched on only when you are in your work area and do not use the unit with the door open.
• Prefer the stairs to the elevator. It saves energy and promotes exercise.
• Minimize water consumption. Make sure the toilets are tightly closed after use.
• Do not leave taps dripping after use. If you detects a leak contact maintenance.
• Bet on efficient watering systems that allow more effective monitoring of water use, such as drip type.
• Bet on vegetation more suited to your soil type and weather conditions and prefers trees instead of lawns.
• On hot days, do not sprinkle between 9:00 and 18:00 h to avoid water evaporation.
• maximize the winter sunlight to enter the building and do the opposite in summer will save much energy by reducing the use of air conditioning.
• Use phosphate-free cleaning products and chlorine-free preferably ecologically sustainable.
• Do not smoke in enclosed spaces and spaces of small dimensions.
• Keep containers of paint and thinners closed.
• Vehicles must turn off the engines when not in transit.
• Reward always the policy of the three `R's, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle order.
• Minimize the consumption of paper, save the cutting of trees. Whenever possible reuse, when the cardboard is sent for recycling do not forget to remove the staples.
• Avoid unnecessary printing, always prefer the computer system. If printing is inevitable and temporary print it on a reduced scale.
• Always use your pens, pencils, erasers, etc. until the end, avoid unnecessary consumption of energy and fight disposable consumption.
• Always make the correct separation of waste in your workplace. Do not mix materials of different characteristics. This way you are helping its recovery in appropriate environmental conditions.
• Do not dispose of fluorescent lamps in the trash, they should be sent for recycling.
• Do not throw batteries into the trash, they have a very negative environmental impact and should be sent for recycling (a single cell can contaminate 3000 liters of water).
• Collaborate with us in composting organic wastes. Separate them into the appropriate container that will later be dumped in the compost bin and thus produce organic material to fertilize the soil. Return to the earth which is of the earth.
• Do not dispose of any garbage in the street or in inappropriate places.
• In case of spillage do not let the product flow into surface water or groundwater by blocking off the access to drains and sewers with suitable retaining means.
• Rinse and enclose the spill as soon as possible with absorbent rags and place the product into suitable containers and properly identified in your sector to be later forwarded to a licensed operator. It is prohibited by law to make any discharge of oil in water or soil, including cooking oil. Store in appropriate sealed container and send to collection points by a licensed entity for further recycling. It may be turned into biodiesel.
• Avoid unnecessary travels. You will contribute to reducing CO2 emissions and therefore less pollution. If you live near the factory, use the bicycle.
• On the road, do not drive at excessive speeds and avoid unnecessary braking and accelerating, you’ll see that it saves fuel.
• Pay extra attention to weather conditions.
• If you are making a long journey, opt for lighter meals and stop frequently.
• Be alert and follow the signs.
• Don’t drink and drive.
• Maintain the correct tire pressure. Saves fuel and increases your safety.
• Ensure the maintenance of your vehicle. It saves gas and reduces exhaust emissions to the atmosphere.
• Keep your car clean. Its appearance is not only the company's image, is also your image.
• Whenever possible, share your ride with your colleagues.
• Always comply with the passenger and cargo capacity of your vehicle.
IF ACCIDENT OR FAILURE OCCURS
• Try to place the vehicle on the side of the road and turn the emergency lights.
• Wear the vest and place the triangle at least 50 m from the site.
• Every 2 km there is an SOS station, ask for assistance.
• While help is on the way, place yourself behind the security guards and face the road.
GOOD MANUFACTURING PRACTICES
• Ensure your uniforms and safety shoes are clean and well kept.
• After using the toilet, after eating and after coughing or sneezing, always wash your hands before returning to work.
• It is forbidden the use of ornaments in the production area, except for the smooth alliance.
• The use of nail polish is not allowed.
• It is forbidden to eat outside meal areas.
• In the area allocated to production is required to wear protective hair caps.
• Always use gloves to handle food packaging. They must be discarded and replaced daily.
• Keep the area around your workplace, as well as manufacturing equipment, clean and tidy. Comply with hygiene plans.
• Make sure that the pest control baits are in good condition and the location marked.
• Utilize only the detergent / disinfectant designated for the job. Ensure it is suitable for the food industry.
• Never start any equipment after maintenance without cleaning it first
• Always use appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) to perform the task.
• To protect you and your colleagues, necklaces and earrings that are not attached to the ear or neck as well as wide bracelets are prohibited in production areas.
• Before handling or storing chemicals read each required safety data sheets available in your workplace.
• Do not leave open containers when not in use and keep them away from sources of heat or ignition.
• Keep products in original containers, never use water bottles to store chemicals.
• Take all necessary measures to prevent fire. Do not smoke in non-designated areas.
• Consult regularly the internal emergency norms.
• Do everything in your power to minimize the noise around you, your colleagues and for everyone’s health sake.
• Temporary waste storage areas should be perfectly neat, uncluttered and the waste must be identified with the appropriate classification concerned.
• Silvex manufactures food handling products. Fake and polished nails are prohibited in production as well as eating by the machines (even chewing gum).
• Keep yourself clean and neat. Your uniform should be kept in good condition, without rips, holes or be torn.
• Participate in an organized, committed and responsible way in fire drills and training.
• Avoid routes through the center of towns. When it is unavoidable do it at low speeds and quietly.
• Avoid noise by turning off transport vehicles when not in motion and by not using the horn.
• Transport of waste must always be accompanied by the relevant environmental guide.
• The facilities must be kept clean and tidy with escape routes clear.
• The storage of materials shall permit the proper functioning of the FIFO (first in first out) system.
• Comply with the procedures defined by Silvex.
• The material provided on pallets may not exceed the limit of the same in more than 2.5 cm as well as all the material should be protected with plastic palletizing film.
• Any service, material and / or equipment provided shall be accompanied by legal documentation in English.
• Whenever visiting, Silvex rules and good practice must be followed.
Once inside the production unit customers must cover their hair with a cap. In case of prolonged visit, footwear must be used.
• Perform noise control on emission sources, to avoid the impact of metal on metal as well as the vibration of the equipment.
• Always perform preventive maintenance of equipment as noise levels may increase as wear occurs on parts of the equipment.
• Ensure all equipment purchased always carry the CE certification and is in compliance with noise levels in particular.
• What is Social Responsibility? The Standard in place aims to "encourage and guide organizations to a more socially responsible actions in the context of sustainable development challenges."
However, companies are not socially responsible because someone so determines, only when all who work there naturally are. This will be our big challenge, and for that we must learn from each other and above all with humility.
However, we can be proud that our company already gives some good examples in this area:
• We employ 13 disabled people which represents 5.8% of our total staff (31 DEZ.10). Some from the early 90s, of which 12 are part of the company permanent staff.
• In this area we collaborate with the Children's Recovery Center Benavente (CRIB), by providing an annual donation instead of Christmas offers we used to give our customers.
• We employ 50.5% of women (31 DEZ.10), and this percentage is more or less equal in all areas of business.
• We recognize and value the contribution that older employees have always given to the company. Thirty-five Silvex employees have been working with us for more than 15 years, which represents 15.6% of the total.
• We never discriminate by age. Over the past three years, eight employees over 45 have joined the company.
• For over 10 years, Silvex has not hada dispute on Judicial Court, neither in labor nor in civil areas.
• Silvex shareholders have never withdrawn from the company any profits, which have been continuously applied to investments, and translated in increasing our physical facilities and the increase and diversification of our production capacity, thus allowing us to become more competitive and stable .
With everybody’s collaboration and creativity, we will surely improve and increase our good examples of social responsibility.